Tuesday 8 July 2014


8 July 2014

Inverness and Glen Affric

A glen is, of course, a Scottish valley. This one was in the highlands to the south west of Inverness. The valley was steep, but not particularly big. We parked down by the Affric river and walked for about thirty minutes to a lookout. Here we are, looking like tourists. Although not visible in this picture, there are still pockets of snow on a few of the mountains.



The walk had been uphill, but not too strenuous. After returning to the parking area, we decided to head to Dog Falls. This was a fifteen minute walk downstream. There was no point on the bank where we got a clear view of the waterfall. However we could see and hear enough to know there was a lot of water roaring through the gap.



The highland countryside was pretty.




After taking about a hundred photos of the area, we went back to the car, and then drove to Cannich. This is quite a small town, but it has a pub- The Slaters Arms. The pub serves food, so we had a pizza there for lunch. The bloke who served us reminded me of Jimmy Barnes (from Cold Chisel), but he was very polite and cooked a nice pizza.

From there, we headed back into Inverness. Robyn washed some clothes while I went for a walk along the river and the canal. I went upstream towards the loch, but stopped short. It is a six miles to the near end of the loch. I took a few more photos.

You do see some interesting things along a river. I saw no sign of the owner of this bike.

 



The river was very peaceful in the late afternoon sun.




I think I walked about 4 miles this afternoon. I'll sleep well tonight. So will Robyn - she did a few miles today in the glen. This having fun is very tiring !

Tomorrow Caitlin and Mikeal fly in to Inverness (from London). We plan to take them up to the loch in the afternoon. I fully expect to see the Loch Ness monster, and to get a clear photo. If I don't, I'll drown my disappointment with half a dozen single malt whiskies !

Bye until tomorrow

Lex and Robyn
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment